Swedeland Fire Company

Swedeland Fire Co.
609 A Street
King of Prussia
PA 19406
Ph: 610-275-0177

In 1919, the Alan Wood Steel company expanded its facility in Swedeland which included various types of housing for its employees. For some time, residents expressed the need for a fire company to serve the expanding community. On August 13, 1919, the Bridgeport Fire Company donated a fire engine to the community. Prior to 1920, the residents of Swedeland were protected by fire services from the neighboring municipalities.

In 1920, a fire damaged several buildings in the Village of Swedeland and the need for a fire company was pressed by the residents and on November 24, 1920, the Swedeland Volunteer Fire Company No. 1 was organized. The Alan Wood Steel Company donated the land, the bricks to build the fire station and 3,000 feet of fire hose to start the building of a fire station. In 1923, the fire company purchased the first motorized apparatus which was an American LaFrance fire engine and legend began.

Swedeland Volunteer Fire Company was the first fire company in the township. Today, the Swedeland Volunteer Fire Company is still serving Upper Merion Township with approximately 60 all-volunteer staff. The members of the fire company over the years have been recognized for their professional development for meeting National training standards and certification and the company was recognized for rescue certification.